Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5,300 miles later...

We're here! I think it really hit me that I was actually going to Africa when the plane was finally over the continent. I was watching the map on the screen up until we could see land out the side. I think I just kept looking out the window for the next 3 hrs until we reached Accra.

The airport was just as hectic as all the books described, but I think I handled myself pretty well. I successfully turned down a bunch of taxis and was able to meet up with Lucas, the FAVL regional library coordinator. Begin the tro-tro adventure and welcome to 93 degree heat!

For those of you familiar with tro-tros, let me start by saying I had 3 LONG tro-tro rides in my first 5 hours in Africa (I felt brave). For those who don't know what I'm talking about, tro-tros are converted VW vans with a zillion seats in them into which you cram as many people as you can. But, you can get across town for less than a cedi (less than a dollar!) along a specified route. There's a lot of what seems like unspoken signals, so I have a lot to learn about the tro-tros. Thank you Lucas for not losing me on the tro! :-)

After we made it to me and Laura's hotel on the BEACH and I checked in, Lucas agreed to let me tag along to visit his sister north of Accra near the University of Ghana. I got to see a lot of the city riding on the tro up there. And, to my surprise, I was treated to my first home-cooked Ghanain meal, courtesty of Lucas' sister! Tomato-onion-fish sauce with rice. It was DELICIOUS.

Later on, Lucas's brother stopped by and graciously drove us to the airport to collect Laura. Accra was much different by night. The "piiiiirr" (read: pure) watah girls, the bread sellers, everyone hocking their wares on the street by day disappeared when the sun went down. Good thing, too, since they wander between the cars in the daylight and probably would have caused an accident.

It was great to get to spend some time talking to Lucas about his work at the libraries up north, and what plans he has for the future. He's a really smart guy and I look forward to working with him. We came up with a tentative plan for this week: spend a few days in Accra visiting the Osu Children's libraries and purchasing books for Sherigu Library in the North, then head to Jordan Nu (library in the Volta region) on Saturday. Laura will take over from here, but expect more info from us this week while we have internet cafes readily available.

Love and miss you friends and family!

PS I got into OU for grad school! yay! now time to make the big decision....

No comments:

Post a Comment